Thursday, September 3, 2009

Earthquake, 02/09/09



02/09/09, there was an earthquake coming. Of course I was in the school when it all happened. In lunch time, a very strange thing happened. Well, I didn't see it myself, my social studies teacher had told me that there was a snake out in the grass area where there were more than 400 kids outside playing. That never happens. I've never even seen a snake out in the wild in my life. Well, after that, when the school was over about 3 hours later, I was going out to the drop-zone to get picked up by my driver. Suddenly, I felt ground shaking. I thought I was the only one who felt it, but I could tell that people were panicking, because I could see them running around.

Indonesia tends to get lot of earthquakes because it is located in the ring of fire and it is an island. There also was a tsunami warning, since indonesia is coastal. With all these conditions, it's impossible to never expect an earthquake to happen. Also, my friends and I all figured out that the snake came out because it had felt the earthquake moments before it occured. Animals feel the tiny bit of ground shaking and react like they never did. This one had magnitude of 7.4, which is strong enough to seriously damage an enormous area in such short time, which explains the epicenter of the earthquake being 40 kilometers out in the sea.


At least 33 people were killed by this disaster. They are still recording the death of people, which means there may be lot more then 33 victims. One reporter captured the buildings swaying, which seemed very serious to me. The earthquake subverted some of the houses that were near the epicenter. In the city, no buildings fell, but you could spot that there were some crack in the building and the walls. Again, with Indonesia being in the ring of fire and being coastal, people here better watch out.

1 comment:

Michael said...

Yong Hee, this is a very well done post. You've dealt with the social studies standards, plus made it very personal. Keep doing this high level of work, Yong Hee.