Monday, October 26, 2009

Personal narrative


1/10/19
Yong Hee Lee
Personal narrative
Earthquake


“On 02/09/09, an enormous earthquake hit Indonesia, magnitude of 7.6.” Whoa, what a disaster it was. This is serious news you know. There was a devastating earthquake and had more than 50 victims found. In fact, it probably was the strongest quake I’ve felt in more than 4 years of living in Jakarta. “Here you can see houses demolished and shattered. For apartment buildings, the walls had cracks and the structure was destabilized.” the CNN reporter informed.

“What the heck is going on?” I shouted in a startled tone. That was the time I felt the word ‘Earthquake’ jolting down through me like a bolt of lightning, leaving me brain-sapped. I was still wasn’t really sure of what just happened, but could surely tell because of people running around and bellowing out loud that there was a pretty big problem here. I could see people in apartment buildings rushing down to the lobby. I was shocked, or should I say too shocked to make noise. My legs felt tons heavier. After some swearing, a memory shot through me.

“Class dismissed” the teacher informed us. I have plugged my earphone in, and was tuning the music volume close to max, but then I had an encounter with such a crowd over something. I squished in to get a better look, and saw its forked tongue and its long body. Starting into its vicious eyes, I immediately could identify it as a snake.

I wondered why it has been there with more than 200 kids bursting out of their classrooms and making such a racket. First I thought it was no big deal, but now I realized that snake had felt the earthquake coming. You see, most animals can feel better, or should I say much much better than the humans, so they can feel earthquakes or tsunami coming before the devastating happening about a day or even a week. But that didn’t really matter right now. All I could do was to simply wait impatiently for the rampage to stop.

About next 5 seconds of silenced delay felt like an eternity. When I came home, I was relieved nobody in my family got hurt. Dumping my backpack at the floor, I turned the TV on and switched the channel to CNN. “Breaking news: On 02/09/09, an enormous earthquake hit Indonesia, magnitude of 7.6. Here you can see houses demolished and shattered. For apartment buildings, the walls had cracks and the structure was destabilized”. The reporter continues...

No comments: