Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Trip to water treatment plant


As my classmates and I rode on the bus to the water treatment plant, we saw a dirty river full of garbages people threw. And at that time, I had no idea that this water here was going to be potable. In this post, I will be talking about the infrastucture of the water treatment plant.

The first step is percolating the big pieces of garbages. The first thing I saw was a huge gate and the river water going through the long and thin metal poles. The gate collected the big pieces of garbage, for example. tires, cans, bottles, bannana peelings, etc... you get the idea.

The second step is aeration, which is oxigentating the water, adding mineral. In the treatment plant, there is a huge turbo swirling around the water like a vortex. What it does is that when the turbo is spinning, it's giving oxygen to the water that didn't have any oxygen.

The thrid step is adding alum. Alum is a chemical that causes the dirt particles to come together and make a floc, which makes it easier for the next process to collect the dirt particles out of the water.

The fourth step is sedimentation. They let the water stay still for a while until all the flocs of dirt particles settle to the ground. At this point, water is saturated. Also, an interesting fact I've found out is that the dirt particles don't just get thrown away. In fact, they use it to help build houses in the kampung areas.

The fifth step is filtration, and disinfection. The final filter takes out all the leftover flocs and other garbages that made through the steps. After getting rid of them, they add a chemical called clorn, which disinfects the water, destroying all the bacteria left.

Finally, the last step is checking the water qualities. In this step, people in the lab check the water is clean or not. The more infected the water is, the color gets yellower, and if it is safe to drink, the color is transparent. This is a very important step to go through, because even if the water is filtered, there might be tiny bits of dirt particles still remaining in the water.

When I came back from the trip, I learned TONS of stuff there. I have to say I was surprised at how much I learned. I've seen things I've never seen before, and I think it was a great experience to have, learning about how and where the water we drink everyday come from.

1 comment:

Michael said...

Your writing is very clear and to the specific points Yong Hee. I wonder if you can talk your way through your graphic as well. It you really know the material, you could point out each step you've written in the graphic. Keep up the good work, YH.